3Deep - The Ultimate Underwater Housing for 3D Stereoscopic Cinematography
ABC Australia interview with 3Deep inventory Pawel Achtel can be viewed here: 3Deep Interview
3Deep - Features
- The first and only housing able to resolve 4k and beyond underwater
- No distortions, no chromatic aberrations and no image astigmatism caused by optical ports
- Ultra-light and small - less than 25kg (55 pounds) ready to dive!
- All-titanium precision machined body and accessories.
- Change lenses in seconds without opening the housing
- Depth rating is 60m (unlimited with pressure compensation)
- Simple, modular design allowing unlimited configurations
- Multiple internal and external power and monitoring options
- Unique, patent pending lens mount incorporated in the housing
- Strong, durable precision machined titanium body
- All controls made of grade 4 Titanium alloy and offer the ultimate safety and reliability
- Will cover Dragon 6k sensor and beyond
- Integration with Marshall Orchid OR-70-3D auto-stereoscopic 3D monitor.
Inter-axial (IA) distance is 100mm (4")
Using full Bercovitz formula, for 2% total parallax (0.6mm on film) and Nikonos 15mm lens the following are nearest - furthest subject distances:
1.0m - 1.4m, focus on 1.17m
1.5m - 2.7m, focus on 1.93m
2.0m - 5.0m, focus on 2.86m
2.5m - 10.0m, focus on 4.00m
3.0m - 20.0m, focus on 5.22m
Why use Nikon Nikonos lenses underwater?
Nikonos submersible lenses have been a foundation of underwater photography for over 30 years. Unlike land lenses placed into waterproof ports, Nikonos lenses were specifically designed for the unique optical challenges of underwater imaging. Many professional photographers consider these lenses the sharpest underwater optics ever designed. And rightfully so, as their optical performance does not suffer from the limitations of land lenses placed behind waterproof ports. Dome ports and flat ports, irrespective how good, suffer from inevitable field curvature, distortions and chromatic aberrations. On the other hand, when tested the UW-Nikkor 15mm F/2.8 with Imatest software, it exhibited similar corner sharpness at f/5.6 underwater as Arri Master Prime lens on land - truly remarkable and not possible to achieve by placing even the best land lens behind an optical port.
RESOLUTION: Chart showing comparative corner resolution of typical underwater camera systems in use today.
Only 3Deep that uses Nikon Nikonos lenses reaches the Nyquist frequency limit - the theoretical maximum resolution of the camera sensor.
Benefits of using Nikonos lenses underwater:
- Nikonos lenses are the only optics currently available that out-resolve the RED Epic sensor across the entire frame.
- Optics will cover full frame up to 36 x 24mm including 6k Dragon sensor
- No more porthole view, geometric distortions, chromatic aberrations, astigmatism or fuzzy edges.
- Nikon Nikonos submersible lens compatibility achieves uncompromised image quality underwater.
- Nikon UW-Nikkor 15mm F/2.8N
- Nikon LW-Nikkor 28mm F/2.8 (water resistant, land only use)
- Nikon UW-Nikkor 35mm F/2.5
- Nikon W-Nikkor 80mm F/4.0
Specifically designed for RED Epic and Scarlet digital cinema cameras.
3Deep is designed and manufactured in Australia to ISO 9001 quality standards.
Please enter your email address below. You will receive a link to reset your password.Ahh, wait, I remember now!